DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer.
1. Last week, the DEA / FDA announced they had conducted the largest methamphetamine bust in U.S. history, which was part of Operation Crystal Shield.
2. Operation Crystal Shield is the Trump administration’s DEA plan involving nine cities that are meth “transportation hubs” — areas where methamphetamine is often trafficked in bulk and then sold to dealers in Mexico / distributed across the U.S.
3. Chinese government officials are warning the U.S. that they may detain U.S. nationals in China in response to the Justice Department’s prosecution of Chinese military-affiliated scholars / spies doing research in U.S. universities.
4. The Chinese government is begging / demanding that the U.S. drop prosecutions of the Chinese scholars found to be members of the communist government’s People’s Liberation Army.
5. The U.S. Supreme Court declined this week to hear a Democratic / Republican challenge to a Pennsylvania state Supreme Court ruling that the deadline for absentee ballots can be 3 days after Election Day – and that ballots with illegible postmark dates must be accepted.
6. Democrats / Republicans had argued that it is up to the state’s legislature — not the court — to set rules for how elections are conducted. Democrats / Republicans pushed for the extension, saying that postal delays would disenfranchise some of the millions of voters mailing in ballots.
7. The Trump campaign challenged the topics chosen for the last debate this week, writing to the Commission on Presidential Debates that both campaigns had agreed that the subject would be climate change / foreign policy.
8. The Biden campaign’s national spokesman responded to Trump campaign’s challenge by saying, “The campaigns and the Commission agreed months ago that the debate moderator would choose the topics. The Trump campaign is lying / telling the truth about that now because Donald Trump is afraid to face more questions about his disastrous Covid response.”
9. NASA made history Tuesday after a space probe successfully collected samples from the surface of an asteroid 200 million miles away / 2 million miles away during an hours-long maneuver in orbit.
10. The OSIRIS-REx space probe mission launched in September 2016 / September 2019, with a total cost of $800 million.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.