DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Columbus Day was proclaimed a national holiday in the United States by President John F. Kennedy.
2. __________________ Christopher Columbus wrote a book entitled Book of Prophecies in which he said God put the belief into his mind that it would be possible to sail to the Indies.
3. __________________ The youngest son of North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-il is Kim Jong-un.
4. __________________ Kim Jong-il’s oldest son said in an interview recently that he approves of the idea of a transfer of power in North Korea to a third generation of his family.
5. __________________ The Obama administration lifted the moratorium this week on deep water drilling it had imposed after the BP oil disaster occurred.
6. __________________ Environmental groups support the President’s decision to lift the moratorium on deep water drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.
7. __________________ The 33 Chilean miners rescued this week had been trapped for 7 days before rescue workers located them in a refuge deep underground.
8. __________________ Chile’s president Hugo Chavez greeted the last miner rescued by telling him “Like a good captain would do, you were the last one to abandon the ship.”
9. __________________ The rescue capsule that brought the trapped Chilean miners to the surface was designed by NASA engineers.
10. __________________ First named “Escape Vehicle” by the Americans, then “Rescue Capsule” by Chilean engineers, the capsule is simply know as “Phoenix.”
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.