DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer.
1. President Donald Trump become the first / third US president to attend America’s largest annual pro-life rally in DC when he spoke at the event on Friday declaring his support. He said that marchers come “to stand for life, and today as president of the United States, I am truly proud to stand with you.”
2. The president said, “Unborn children have never had a stronger defender in the White House. Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton / Ronald Reagan did not attend, but addressed the March for Life crowd by video during their time in office.
3. Several companies are working on vaccines for the newly discovered coronavirus. Johnson & Johnson’s chief scientific officer said during an interview this week that he is “pretty confident” / “doubtful” that his company will be able to create a vaccine.
4. During his interview, J&J’s chief scientific officer noted that scientists at Johnson & Johnson created a Sars / Ebola vaccine in six months but the coronavirus work would be similar to an approach taken in the case of the Zika virus, where they had to start from scratch.
5. In an effort to deter students from vaping in school, some New Jersey high schools are installing hidden cameras / vaping detectors in the restrooms.
6. A principal and the superintendent in one NJ district said the program to address students vaping will be good for students’ health / college applications.
7. President Donald Trump released a proposed Middle East peace plan / trade deal at the White House this week that, if implemented, would create a conditional path to statehood for Palestinians while recognizing Israeli sovereignty over a significant portion of the West Bank.
8. When introducing the peace plan, President Trump said, “Our proposal provides precise technical solutions to make religous leaders / Israelis and Palestinians and the region safer and much more prosperous.”
9. On Wednesday, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement / US Customs and Border Protection announced the discovery in August of the longest known drug-smuggling tunnel into the United States from Mexico.
10. The drug smuggling tunnel has an extensive rail system / storage area and an elevator and the passageway is outfitted with a ventilation system, high-voltage power cables and a complex drainage system.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.