DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ In China, approximately 1.8 million passengers are expected to travel by train this year to return to their home towns and villages for the Chinese New Year.
2. __________________ Many Chinese New Year travelers were having difficulty purchasing train tickets and have blamed this on the corruption and inefficiency of the state-run China Railways.
3. __________________ The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently gave permission to a biotechnology company to conduct the first-ever human trial of a medical treatment derived from embryonic stem cells.
4. __________________ Adult stem cell research has been on-going for years, is not under any government restriction, and these cells have already been used to treat spinal cord injuries, Leukemia, and even Parkinson’s disease.
5. __________________ Iraqi President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad demanded this week that President Obama apologize for the “crimes” committed by the U.S. against Iran over the past 60 years.
6. __________________ In an interview previous to Ahmadinejad’s demand, President Obama said that it is important for the U.S. to use diplomacy in its relationship with Iran.
7. __________________ Only about 50% of Republicans in the House voted for the Democrats’ economic stimulus plan this week.
8. __________________ Republicans opposed specific funding items in the Democratic stimulus bill, including $1 billion for the 2010 census, $600 million for new eco-friendly cars for the federal government and $50 million to the National Endowment for the Arts, saying funding these progams would not help to create jobs.
9. __________________ South Korea announced this week that it will no longer abide by its military and economic agreements with North Korea because the government is angry that North Korea will not restart the strings-free economic assistance it ended last year.
10 __________________ Since the mid-1990s North Korea has relied heavily on international aid to feed its population while continuing to expend resources to maintain an army of approximately 1 million.