DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ In an interview that aired on ABC this week, President-elect Barack Obama promised to carry out his campaign pledge to close Guantanamo Bay Detention center in his first 100 days in office.
2. __________________ In the ABC interview, President-elect Obama said he disagrees with Vice-President Dick Cheney and believes that waterboarding is torture but will not commit to banning it until he has all of the information that the current administration holds.
3. __________________ President-elect Obama invited openly gay New Hampshire Bishop V. Gene Robinson to say a prayer at the inauguration event at the Lincoln Memorial this Sunday.
4. __________________ Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush also invited a clergyman who was openly gay to lead prayers during their inauguration ceremonies.
5. __________________ When Congress passed the TARP Troubled Asset Relief Program, it expected some of the money given to financial institutions to help reduce the number of home foreclosures.
6. __________________ A report just released by the Congressional Oversight Panel [COP] said the first $350-billion phase of the TARP bailout is very successful in lowering the number of foreclosures.
7. __________________ After meeting with Egyptian negotiators to discuss a cease-fire agreement with Israel, Hamas leaders said they refuse to accept a short-term cease-fire and will only agree to a long-term truce.
8. __________________ As part of the cease-fire, Israel will agree to allow Hamas to continue bringing weapons into Gaza through tunnels near the border crossing with Egypt.
9. __________________ The number of people expected to attend Barack Obama’s inauguration is estimated to be close to 20 million – the largest ever to descend on the U.S. capital.
10. __________________ Security precautions for inauguration day may include the closure of major bridges and highways in D.C. to private vehicles and the closure of certain feeder roads within D.C. – but miles from the downtown area where the inauguration will take place.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.