NOTE: “Answers by Email” ends today for the summer.
[The last quiz of the school year will be Friday, June 13th. The June quiz answers will be posted at the bottom of the quiz for the June quizzes.] (The answers to this quiz are posted below – scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.)
STUDENTS: Do an internet search or see the Daily News Article “Memorial Day 2014″ for any answers you don’t know. (Challenge a parent to see who knows more answers.)
1) Memorial Day was originally called:
a) Decoration Day
b) Remembrance Day
c) Commemoration Day
d) Labor Day
2) Memorial Day was founded to honor military personnel who died in:
a) The Revolutionary War
b) The Civil War
c) World War II
d) The Viet Nam War
3. Memorial Day was first observed in the United States in:
4. The U.S. President who declared Memorial Day a federal holiday on the last Monday in May was:
a) Gerald Ford
b) Ronald Reagan
c) John F. Kennedy
d) Richard Nixon
5. The Memorial Day flower is the:
6. What song is played by a bugler during military funerals?
a) the Star Spangled Banner
b) Stars and Stripes Forever
c) America the Beautiful
7. Which one of the following is not suggested as something Americans should do on Memorial Day?
a) visit cemeteries and place flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes
b) fly the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon
c) fly the flag of the country your ancestors came from
d) participate in the National Moment of Remembrance
8. Memorial Day is celebrated on the ______ Monday of May.
9. The purpose of Memorial Day is to honor:
a) all U.S. service members
b) all veterans of the current war
c) all U.S. service members who died while in military service
d) all veterans who served during a war
10. The National Moment of Remembrance is held each Memorial Day at:
b) 3 p.m.
d) 12 noon
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.
1. a) Decoration Day
2. b) The Civil War
3. a) 1868
4. d) Richard Nixon
5. b) poppy
6. d) Taps
7. c) fly the flag of the country your ancestors came from
8. b) last
9. c) all U.S. service members who died while in military service
10. b) 3 p.m.