DIRECTIONS: This week’s quiz is a combination of multiple choice and true/false questions. For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. What is the name of this robot?
a) Big Dog
2. __________________ The U.S. military will use the robot pictured above to carry heavy loads through rough terrains.
3. The first statue to be placed near ground zero, which will be dedicated on Veterans Day today will depict:
a) the drone attack that killed Anwar al-Awlaki in Yemen
b) a U.S. special ops commando on horseback in the Afghan mountains
c) President Bush and a firefighter standing on a mound of rubble at ground zero
c) Afghan President Hamid Karzai
4. __________________ The statue to be placed near ground zero will have a piece of steel from the World Trade Center embedded in its base.
5. __________________ In its most recent report on Iran’s nuclear program, the U.N.’s nuclear watchdog agency for the first time said that Iran is suspected of attempting to build nuclear weapons.
6. Responding to Iran’s nuclear weapons program, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wants to:
a) take military action against Iran’s nuclear facilities
b) impose more sanctions on Iran to force them to give up their pursuit of nuclear weapons
c) negotiate with the Iranian government to further his policy of appeasement
d) destroy several Iranian cities using intercontinental ballistic missiles
7. __________________ A bill introduced in the Senate on Wednesday regarding online sales tax would permit state governments to collect sales tax on goods purchased online.
8. Supporters of the online sales tax bill include all but which one?
a) “Big box” stores such as Walmart and Target
b) the Obama administration
c) state and local governments
d) small businesses
9. The purpose of Veterans Day is to:
a) honor those who died while fighting in a war
b) honor those who served in the military
c) honor those who died while in uniform
d) honor the surviving soldiers who fought in WWI
10. __________________ Veterans Day was called Armistice Day until 1954 because November 11th was originally a day set aside to honor veterans of WWI, who had ceased fighting on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918.