print Print Cartoon
1. Tone is the attitude a cartoonist takes towards a subject. Which pair of words best describes the tone of this cartoon?
2. a) What is the main point of Stephan Pastis’ cartoon?
b) Where is Pig?
c) What is your reaction to this cartoon?
CHALLENGE: Memorial Day, a day when we actively remember those who who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, should be observed:
- by visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes
- by visiting memorials
- by flying the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon
- by flying the ‘POW/MIA Flag’ as well (Section 1082 of the 1998 Defense Authorization Act)
- by participating in a “National Moment of Remembrance“: at 3pm to pause and think upon the true meaning of the day, and for Taps to be played
- by renewing a pledge to aid the widows, widowers, and orphans of our falled dead, and to aid the disabled veterans
How will you commemorate Memorial Day this year?
Find out what is happening in your town by doing the following:
-Do an internet search for “2017 Memorial Day Observances” + name of your city, state
-Call your city hall to ask if the city will hold a Memorial Day ceremony.
-Call your local VFW, AmVets or DAV for information on their Memorial Day ceremonies.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. c) solemn/serious
2. a) The point of Mr. Pastis’ cartoon is that Memorial Day is not just about the beginning of summer, barbecuing or going to the beach or the lake – it is a day to remember and honor military service members who gave their lives while serving/defending our country.
b) Pig is at the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D.C. (Read about it at vvmf.org/memorial)
c) Opinion question. Answers vary.