print Print Cartoon
1. What point is Chip Bok making in his cartoon?
2. Do you agree with his assertion? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. Mr. Bok is pointing out the double-standard in viewing two presidents’ threats to withhold federal funding. Double-standard is defined as: a situation in which two people, groups, etc., are treated very differently from each other in a way that is unfair to one of them.
- The Obama administration in May 2016 ordered every public school in America to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms and locker rooms of the opposite sex. When President Obama threatened to withhold federal education funding from North Carolina over a law in the state prohibiting people of the opposite sex from using public facilities, it was not deemed unconstituional.
- When President Trump threatened to withhold federal funding to states and sanctuary cities that refused to enforce federal immigration law, a federal judge ruled it unconstitutional.
2. Opinion question. Answers vary.