print Print Cartoon
1. Explain the meaning of this cartoon.
2. What is cartoonist Tom Stiglich implying about CNN’s Brian Stelter?
3. What do you think about the cartoonist’s assertion about Mr. Stelter?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. Prior to the presidential election, the New York Post published an expose about Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, and his business dealings in Ukraine, Russia and China — whether or not they were aboveboard. Almost all major mainstream news organizations ignored the story. They did not do their job of investigating and reporting on the evidence: if the evidence presented is true (regarding Joe Biden’s involvement), it would indicate a potential conflict of interest for presidential candidate Biden.
2. CNN’s Brian Stelter is the chief media correspondent for CNN and host of the CNN program Reliable Sources, which examines the week’s top media stories. Stelter said the story was a “manufactured scandal” and “a classic example of the right-wing media machine.” The cartoonist is implying that Stelter knows the concerning allegations about Hunter Biden are true and instead of doing his job as a journalist to report on and investigate the allegations, he is instead covering up the story entirely. The cartoonist asserts that Stelter’s show “Reliable Sources” is actually unreliable.
3. Opinion question. Answers vary.