1. a) This cartoon refers to the controversy over the types of interrogation methods the CIA uses to extract information from terrorism suspects.b) Different opinions on this issue include:
- No harsh interrogation methods should be used on suspects, even to gather evidence that would save American lives from terrorist attacks. (Liberals generally support this belief.)
- Water-boarding is torture and should not be used, even to prevent further terrorist attacks on Americans.
- Water-boarding is not torture, so it is ok to used this method to get information from terrorists to prevent planned attacks. (Conservatives generally support this belief.)
- Even if water-boarding is torture, it should be used on terrorist suspects to gain information to prevent terrorist attacks. Saving American lives is more important than how we treat captured terrorists.
- That as unlawful combatants, terrorists do not fall under the Geneva convention and therefore are not entitled to be treated as Prisoners of War.
c) Opinion question. Answers vary.
Read an editorial on this topic at The Washington Times.