(by Michael Bastasch, The Daily Caller) – A group of 15 scientists and meteorologists have put forward a scathing rebuttal to the Obama administration’s recent climate report which said the U.S. is already being harmed by global warming.
Scientists skeptical that mankind is causing the Earth’s climate to change say that such claims are based on false theories and flawed models. The White House report is a “masterpiece of marketing” that is trying to scare people into action, scientists said.
“As independent scientists, we know that apparent evidence of ‘Climate Change,’ however scary, is not proof of anything,” wrote the 15 scientists and meteorologists,including Dr. Don Easterbrook of Western Washington University and Dr. George Wolff, who formerly chaired the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee.
“Science derives its objectivity from robust logic and honest evidence repeatedly tested by all knowledgeable scientists, not just those paid to support the administration’s version of ‘Global Warming,’ ‘Climate Change,’ ‘Climate Disruption,’ or whatever their marketing specialists call it today,” they continued.
The White House’s “National Climate Assessment” (NCA), released last week, claimed that the U.S. was already being affected by global warming though warmer temperatures and increasing extreme weather events.
But the 15 skeptical scientists said the White House is trying to lay the blame for global warming at the feet of the fossil fuels industry when there is little evidence to back up that claim. The Earth’s climate is very cyclical and has gone through many changes in the past, the scientists said, without humans emitting carbon dioxide.
“This NCA (White House’s “National Climate Assessment”) is so grossly flawed it should play no role in U.S. Energy Policy Analyses and CO2 regulatory processes,” the skeptics wrote. “As this rebuttal makes clear, the NCA provides no scientific basis whatsoever for regulating CO2 emissions.”
“We are asked to believe that humans are drastically changing the earth’s climate by burning fossil fuels,” they added. “The problem with their theory is very simple: It is NOT true.”
The NCA says the U.S. average temperature has risen between 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit to 1.9 degrees Fahrenheit since 1895, which is causing more extreme weather, like hurricanes and droughts, and harming fragile ecosystems around the country.
The NCA also warns that the U.S. average temperature could rise 4 degrees Fahrenheit in the coming decades if nothing is done to limit carbon dioxide emissions. The report suggests a slew of regulatory solutions from cap-and-trade to green energy subsidies to mitigate [ease] global warming.
“’Global Warming’ has not been global and has not set regional records where warming has occurred,” the skeptical scientists rebutted. “For example, over the last fifty years, while the Arctic has warmed, the tropical oceans had a flat trend and the Antarctic cooled slightly.”
“The most significant warming during this period occurred in the Northern Hemisphere, north of the tropics but that ceased over the last 15 years or more,” they wrote, adding that “over the last 130 years the decade of the 1930s still has the most U.S. State High Temperatures records.”
“And, over the past 50 years, there were more new State Record Lows set than Record Highs,” they wrote. “In fact, roughly 70 percent of the current State Record Highs were set prior to 1940.”
President Obama touted the NCA’s findings late last week when announcing his plan to promote more solar power use through executive orders. [A presidential executive order is a directive issued to federal agencies, department heads, or other federal employees by the President under his statutory or constitutional powers.]
“So unfortunately, inside of Washington we’ve still got some climate deniers who shout loud, but they’re wasting everybody’s time on a settled debate,” Obama said, doubling down on remarks made during his State of the Union Address this year by adding that, “Climate change is a fact.”
“Here in California, you’ve seen these effects firsthand,” Obama told the audience at a Mountain View Wal-Mart. “You know what’s happening. And increasingly, more and more Americans do — including, by the way, many Republicans outside of Washington.”
The Obama administration and environmentalists have tried to make it seem like there are virtually no dissenting voices among scientists that mankind is causing the Earth to warm rapidly and towards a catastrophic end. But not all scientists are in lock-step with the White House on climate science.
“By ignoring and even denouncing growing criticism, they have lost the benefit of crucial scientific debates which are critical to keeping their analyses honest and objective,” the 15 skeptical scientists wrote. “In fact… they are even disregarding their usual allies, the U.N. IPCC and U.S. National Academy of Sciences, both of whom have been dialing back apocalyptic claims [that there will be catastrophic destruction on earth], not [increasing] them due at least in part to such critical feedback.”
Reprinted here for educational purposes only. May not be reproduced on other websites without permission from The Daily Caller. Visit the website at dailycaller .com.)
PLEASE NOTE: The last day of posting for the school year is June 13th.
“Answers” emails will end for the summer on May 23rd.
1. The first paragraph of a news article should answer the questions who, what, where and when. List the who, what, where and when of this news item. (NOTE: The remainder of a news article provides details on the why and/or how.)
2. a) Define skeptical and skeptic.
b) What reasons do the scientists who refute the White House’s claims on global warming give for their opposition to the NCA report?
3. a) What is the NCA?
b) What does the NCA conclude about global warming and the climate?
c) What does the NCA suggest should be done to slow down global warming?
4. a) What do the scientists who disagree with the NCA report accuse the White House of doing (through the report)?
b) Re-read para. 11-13. These opposing scientists say the Earth’s climate is very cyclical and has gone through many changes in the past without humans emitting carbon dioxide. What do you think of this assertion?
c) Ask a parent the same question.
5. a) How does President Obama and others who believe in global warming label any who disagree with this theory?
b) In what way is the President (and other environmentalists) attempting to silence any opposing voice (of people who do not believe that man-caused catastrophic global warming is imminent)?
6. Also in their rebuttal to the NCA report, the 15 scientists wrote, “By ignoring and even denouncing growing criticism, they have lost the benefit of crucial scientific debates which are critical to keeping their analyses honest and objective. In fact… they are even disregarding their usual allies, the U.N. IPCC and U.S. National Academy of Sciences, both of whom have been dialing back apocalyptic claims [that there will be catastrophic destruction on earth], not [increasing] them due at least in part to such critical feedback.”
a) Ask your science teacher if he/she agrees or disagrees with this assertion and to explain his/her answer.
b) Ask a parent the same question.
7. Numerous results come up in an internet search for “White House global warming report.” However, a search for “scientists refute White House global warming report” results in 2 news outlet reports as of May 19. Why do you think the media is not reporting that reputable experts in the field disagree with the NCA and wrote a report refuting the NCA findings?
From a commentary posted at StudentNewsDaily in September 2013 (read the entire article here):
- The IPCC was established in 1988 by the United Nations. Over the last 25 years, the IPCC became the “gold standard” of climate science, quoted by all the governments of the world.
- IPCC conclusions are the basis for climate policies imposed by national, provincial, state, and local authorities.
- Cap-and-trade markets, carbon taxes, ethanol and biodiesel fuel mandates, renewable energy mandates, electric car subsidies, the banning of incandescent light bulbs, and many other governmental policies are the result.
- In 2007, the Global Warming Petition Project published a list of more than 31,000 scientists, including more than 9,000 PhDs, who stated, “There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate.”
The National Climate Assessment (NCA) is a United States government interagency ongoing effort on climate change science conducted under the auspices of the Global Change Research Act of 1990. NCA is a “major product” of the US Global Change Research Program (USGCRP) which coordinates a team of hundreds of experts guided by a sixty-member Federal Advisory Committee. NCA research is integrated and summarized in the mandatory ongoing National Climate Assessment Reports. The reports are “extensively reviewed by the public and experts, including federal agencies and a panel of the National Academy of Sciences.
In 2013, President Obama’s “President’s Climate Action Plan” released by the Executive Office of the President specifically noted the importance of the National Climate Assessments in achieving the goal of “Using Sound Science to Manage Climate Impacts.” (from wikipedia)
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.