Student News Daily has 6 main categories:
Questions are provided on most category pages below the content.
(All content is posted by 6 a.m. Eastern time.)
- Daily News Article: Comprehension and critical thinking questions are found on the article page, below the article. In addition, we provide “Background” and “Resources” (including video clips, maps and links) below the questions to give students a better understanding of the news story. Sign-up to receive a FREE daily email with answers to the questions (answers are emailed by 6 a.m. Eastern time.)
- Daily Best of the Web is an excerpt from The Wall Street Journal’s “Best of the Web” posting. This is a collection of interesting items found by readers on the internet and commented on by James Taranto, editor of The Wall Street Journal’s “Opinion Journal” webpage. (Note: no questions are posted in this category.)
- Tuesday’s World Events are three short news stories from around the world. Questions are found below the article. In addition, “Background” and “Resources” are provided below the questions. Sign-up to receive a FREE weekly email with answers to the questions. (answers for Tuesday’s World Events are emailed by 6:30 a.m. Eastern time on Tuesday morning.)
- Wednesday’s Example of Media Bias is a weekly example of biased news reporting. Also included on this page are questions about the excerpt and definitions of the types of media bias. (Note: answers to the questions in this category can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
- Thursday’s Editorial is a weekly opinion article from the web. Questions asking students to explain their opinion or reaction are found below the article. As individual views vary, answers are not provided for this category.
- Finally, to round-out the week, we provide Friday’s News Quiz, a 10 question multiple choice or true/false quiz with questions relating to the week’s five “Daily News Articles.” Sign-up to receive FREE quiz answers by email (answers to the quiz are sent the following Monday at 3 p.m. Eastern time.)
In addition to the main categories, we provide other current events items (found in the right column of the home page) including:
- Editorial Cartoon — a new cartoon is posted each Friday. The cartoon is accompanied by a question requiring the student to demonstrate understanding of the cartoonist’s intended meaning. Answers to the questions can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
- Extras! - this category includes: “Quote of the Week,” “Human Interest News Briefs,” “Video of the Week” as well as general blog entries. (The Quote of the Week is posted on Tuesdays – it is typically a thought-provoking and sometimes amusing quote. The Human Interest News Stories are posted on Mondays and include news briefs that are generally amusing and sometimes thought-provoking.)
On the top menu bar of every page, we provide links to “Archives” for all content, as well as a “Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs” chart, “Election” page and other resources.
As a reminder, FREE “Answers by email” are provided for these website categories:
- Daily News Article
- Tuesday’s World Events
- Friday’s News Quiz
The Answers email service is provided during the school year–generally from Labor Day (early September) through Memorial Day (late May). Sign-up here.
StudentNewsDaily.com is a non-profit 501(c)3 website. All content is provided for free, but we need your support – make a donation here.